Tuesday, August 18, 2020

For my brothers ... from the unabashed MSD fan in the family


Writing this for my older brother at the behest of my younger brother . The latter used to be a sports writer / journalist . I use the past tense because that’s how he looks at himself though I think he still remains one of the finest voices in sports ( Indian and international ) Which is why our older brother asked him to comment on M S Dhoni’s retirement . And of course citing his  past tense sports journalist status he told our older brother maybe he should ask me , the unabashed Dhoni fan in the family to say something . 
So, here’s that something : 

Ever since he burst upon the firmament of Indian cricket Dhoni for me shone like the star he is . I have grown up in a household that was totally into cricket. Despite the fact that three of the four female members ( our mother and my two sisters ) were not into it , the other four ( father , brothers and moi) were enough and made for a formidable family of aficionados. Now I have five more guys in my family to add to that . The old man , our sons and the grandson .
 I grew up when the names that shone were Richie Benaud, Bob Simpson and Bill Lawry, Peter May, Colin Cowdrey, Lance Gibbs ,Wes Hall, Gary Sobers, Salim Durrani, Budhi Kundheran , ML Jaisimha, Abbas Ali Baig and MAK Pataudi . Till Dhoni came on the scene no one else made an impact that came even close to the ones these legends had made on me . Ok Imran Khan and David Gower maybe and I must confess I pinned a scribbled note once to Shane Warne on the board in the team dressing room on a visit to the MCG in 1995. 
Whereas I adored these players ( given I was a young girl then and young girls were quite given to adorin) with Dhoni it was admiration from the word Go ! His demeanour , his game , his stance , his unorthodox style ( and hair) and the aura around him elicited admiration and respect. 
He exuded power ; power that came from the confidence of someone extremely comfortable in his skin . His keen and unwavering gaze , his easy smile and the sheer passion he put into his game only added to the aura . I can still remember seeing him atop the BEST bus on the post T20 World Cup win ride through the streets of Bombay . Yes , my team and I came out on the roads to watch that parade !!! 
Most of all I loved and admired his leadership skills . He led by example and he made his team work for him and then he walked away from the limelight leaving his team to bask in the glow of the victories he made for them . He worked hard . To me that said it all . Nothing comes easy to anyone . He knew that and single mindedly worked towards what he wanted . For himself , his team and the country . I don’t think he ever consciously made references of having come up the hard way or from a smaller town. People made a big deal of it . 
He concentrated on his game and on his team. And when the rewards came he took that as a natural outcome of his and his team’s efforts . As I put this down I realise how close this is to how I see myself as a leader of my team . Cancer care is as different from cricket as the proverbial chalk is from cheese but a leader’s responsibilities aren’t too different no matter in which field . 
And talking of fields what a joy the man was to watch on the cricket ground . Fit , head held high , agile , eyes scanning every inch of the ground and the calm composure which when gave way to the occasional burst of exuberance was a delight to watch.
I don’t know when this man turned into the legend ; the icon that he eventually went on to become . 
All I know is if he wasn’t playing in a particular match that game lost its charm for me and became a lacklustre one . 
I can watch reruns of his games again and again . His shots , his wicket keeping , his controlled glee as he sends the ball over the stadium or whips the bails down , his behind the stumps instructions and gentle chiding to the bowler and above all the perfect control he had over himself . Unflappable, cool and dignified.
So I met the man once . And he did not disappoint . Witty and clever and ever so humble the man I was introduced to turned out to be .  He heard with great attention when a common friend spoke to him about my work and we went on to have a great conversation on the perils and rewards of being in the public eye. That the common friend was Salman Khan (the occasion being the latter’s birthday) was serendipitous indeed . Two men I admire , respect and like very deeply . Two men who quietly care for those in their orbit and make no big deal of it . It is what they have to do . 



4 comments:

Gardenia said...

...I think this one is for all your sisters as well; it is so perceptive and so wise.
Loved it.

Cocktail passions said...

Oh! What a beautiful easy flow... Absolutely enjoyed reading this❤️maiji's legacy I can see here.... Seems to me everyone in the family has taken after her, this business of writing & enthralling everyone ��

Viji Venkatesh said...

Oh what a great compliment ! Thank you Jayati

Viji Venkatesh said...

Means a lot